Your physiotherapist will conduct a thorough assessment to diagnose the primary cause of your symptoms and classify the type of incontinence into the following:
- Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI)- leakage on effort or exertion e.g. when you cough, sneeze, laugh, run or jump
- Urge Urinary Incontinence (UUI)- leakage accompanied by or immediately preceded by a sudden compelling desire to urinate that is difficult to defer (i.e. urgency)
- Mixed Urinary Incontinence (MUI)- both SUI and UUI
Other common bladder problems that we treat at La Femme include:
- Urgency (without leakage)
- Frequency- urinating more than 6 times per day
- Nocturia- urinating more than once during the night
- Voiding dysfunction- slow stream, hesitancy, straining, incomplete emptying, post micturition dribble or pain
According to current research, conservative management is recommended as the first line treatment for all women with urinary incontinence. Pelvic floor exercises, education and lifestyle changes are integral components in the management of urinary incontinence and other bladder problems.
Problems with constipation and bowel control are another topic not often talked about but can benefit significantly from the correct treatment. Problems include faecal soiling or staining of underwear, reduced control of wind and urgency to use your bowels. At La Femme your physiotherapist will ensure management is in accordance with the most up to date clinical research.